As with most, if not all, mobile phones, Huawei mobile phones come with an inbuilt “Factory Date Reset” function. This is the easiest way to erase all the data on your phone if it suddenly misbehaves, and get it as new as it came from the factory. This may, however, not be available. In my case, for example, my phone couldn’t respond to the “Factory Data reset”. In such a case, you may want to know how to hard reset Huawei phone to factory settings. This is explained below:
Why You May Want To Hard Reset Your Huawei Phone
Among the top reasons why you may want to hard reset your device are listed here:
- Your phone’s “Factory Date Reset” function is not working properly (or responding at all as was my case). Read how to reset your Huawei phone with the inbuilt factory reset function (the easiest way).
- Restarting the phone – or a soft reset if you like – does not help fix the problem.
- Your phone is locked and you can’t remember the unlock pattern.
- You have lost your phone, or it has been stolen.
How To Hard Reset Huawei Phone That Is Locked or Nonresponsive
There are basically two main ways in which you can restore your phone’s factory settings and have it running as efficient as a new one. Keep in mind however that all these methods involve losing all the apps you have added and the settings you have configured on your phone. It is also a good idea to have your phone charged to at least 70 percent before you embark on hard resetting it. With that said, here is how to go about it.
Method 1: Android Recovery Menu
- Switch off your phone, then pull out the battery.
- Insert the battery back again after a couple seconds.
- Press the power and volume-up buttons at the same time for 15 seconds or so. The Android Recovery menu will appear.
- Navigate to the “Wipe data/factory reset” with the volume-down button, then press the power button to select the option. If necessary, press volume-up button to navigate upwards through the menu.
- In the new screen that appears, scroll down with the volume-down button and then select “Yes – delete all user data” (with the power button of course).
- After a short moment, your phone will indicate that it is through with the reset process (pay attention to the bottom of the screen). At this point, select “reboot system now”.
- That is it. Your phone will power back on as clean as a brand new.
- How to reset a Huawei phone that is locked.
Method 2: Reset your Phone with Android Device Manager
It can also happen that you have lost your phone, or it has been stolen. If that is the case, Google’s very own Android Device Manager comes in very handy. The service uses the Google account in use on your Huawei phone to initiate a factory-reset command on your behalf. For this method to work, though, communication via the internet is required. This means that the hard reset command will only go through once the person in custody of your phone goes online. With that said, here is how to hard reset your Huawei phone – or any other phone brand – remotely using Google Android Device Manager:
- Visit Google Android Device Manager Website and login with your Google account (the one used on the Huawei device that you want to wipe data on).
- Your phone will show up in the top left corner of the page.
- Press the Erase button.
- A prompt asking if you are sure about this will appear. Click Erase to confirm the request.
- That is it. Your phone will be rest to its factory setting as soon as it gets online, enabling communication with Google servers.
Method 3: Hard Reset Your Phone Using Huawei Factory Reset Code.
For this method you need to know a special code that restores the factory setting on your phone. The major downside of this method is that the code varies from one model to another. For Huawei P9, for example, the factory reset code is *#*# 2846579#*#*.
Here is how to use the hard reset code to restore your phone settings if you have the hard reset code:
- Switch your device off, then on again, after a few seconds.
- Type in the relevant hard reset code e.g. *#*# 2846579#*#* into the phone’s dialer.
- Select “Restore factory” From the resulting menu.
- Press OK to confirm the factory restore process and voila!! Your Huawei phone will revert back to its original settings.